Foodie Friday: Toasted Coconut Cake!
I said I would try cake again, and I did. I’m very happy to report that it was super successful!
I used this recipe with some modification:
- I used 1.5 cups of sugar in the batter instead of 2
- I omitted the almond extract
- I used 1 cup of toasted, finely chopped coconut in the batter
- Also toasted the coconut to put on top (hence the post title lol)
I also changed up the frosting:
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 1 stick of butter
- 2.5-3.5 cups of confectioner sugar (I can’t remember if it was two or three! Whoops..)
- about 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- about 1/2 cup of heavy cream
I tried the original frosting without the heavy cream and it tasted a little too fake because of the extract that I had. It kind of tasted like the smell of suntan lotion. The heavy cream really helped mellow it out and made it taste much more natural.
The frosting above was used on the outside of the cake, for the middle I made a lighter variation by taking about a cup of the frosting and adding more heavy cream just so it was a little lighter, fluffier and less sweet.
I also took extra time to prep my cake pans (new ones). I started with butter, then added some cooking spray just to be safe, and also used flour. Needed to be super sure that these bad boys didn’t stick…. and they didn’t! Came out perfect, not one crumb came off!
The recipe says to use three cake pans, but I used two and it came out just fine.
Everyone absolutely loved this cake… even people who claim not to like coconut. The coconut flavor isn’t too strong, it’s just right, and the coconut in the cake and on top add some great texture. The cake itself isn’t too sweet, the frosting on the outside adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
This recipe is a bit time consuming and with my addition of the second frosting, I needed a lot of bowls! But it was so worth it. Fantastic cake. I highly suggest you try this recipe out.